Aberdeen Riding Club
Tel:- (01224) 862431
Choose the best!
The North East Centre of Excellence.
Providing good quality, affordable riding for all.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a member to ride at ARC?
- Yes, we are a not for profit members club. However we have a variety of memberships to suit everyone, which start at £5. Our lesson and livery prices are very good value for the qualifications of instructor and facility you get to use and the membership helps to fund this.
- Can anyone ride?
- Yes, as long as you are under our weight limit and do not have any medical condition which means you have been advised not to ride.
- Is there a weight limit?
- Yes, our weight limit is 14½ stone. This limit is set for our horses benefit and welfare and you will be asked your height and weight when you book a lesson. We reserve the right to refuse riding to anyone who we believe to be over the weight limit.
- What do I need to wear?
- We have hard hats for hire as they are compulsory, but you can wear whatever you are comfortable in clothes wise as long as it is long trousers (to protect your legs from rubbing). Warm clothes and gloves are a must in cold weather and trainers are not permitted as they can be dangerous and slip through the stirrup. Shoes or boots with a ¼ inch heel should be worn but there is no need to rush out and buy jodhpurs or riding boots until you are comfortable that you wish to continue riding.
- Will I always get the same horse?
- No - you will be given a variety of horses to broaden your skills and your instructor will decide each lesson who you will be riding. Horses and ponies are also chosen taking height and rider size into account to ensure our horses are comfortable and our riders are on the best size of horse to improve them.
- Do I have to ride every week?
- No - many of our riders fit their lesson in around busy schedules. If you wish to remain with a regular class, it is safer to ride each week to ensure that you retain your space but there are several lessons of each standard that you can book into to ensure they fit around your other commitments.
- Can I hire a horse to ride on my own?
- No - our insurance requirements prevent this, and we believe that it is in our horses best interests to have a trained member of staff present at all times.
- Can I keep my horse at the club?
- Yes we offer Livery for our members. See our livery page for more details.